The Essex 20 is held every year in March and is an ideal race to run in the build up to the Marathon season. However, it’s not just a training run as it has a long history.
The venue for the event in 2023 is at Debden Airfield. This disused airfield has a fast, flat, tarmac course with no sharp corners. Take a look at some of the photos from the Essex Marathon & Half Marathon held at the same venue in April 2021.
The race is part of the Essex Road Running Championships with county medals awarded to the first 3 affiliated runners in male and female individual age categories as well as teams.
There will be a custom finishers medal available at the finish. There will also be County prize medals awarded but no t-shirts.
The official start list will be published on an ongoing basis until entries close.
2020 - Grand Prix Cancelled due to Covid
1. The host club should work with Essex AA in the lead up to the race in ensuring those entered into
the Essex championships have done so correctly and validly.
Where there is doubt on the eligibility of any particular runner's Essex qualification the host club will
be directed by Essex AA to contact the individual to confirm the position. The Host Club should
contact those individuals without delay to confirm their eligibility.
2. Unaffiliated runners are not eligible to enter the Essex Championship even if they qualify by birth or
residence. The host club's entry form should make this clear to avoid unaffiliated runners entering the
Essex Championships by mistake.
3. Runners affiliated to clubs outside of Essex are eligible to enter the Essex championship
- they qualify through birth or 9 months prior residence in Essex; and
- they have not run in or represented another county championships in the same calendar year.
4. Runners into the Essex championship must be pre-entered into the race (entries on the day
cannot count in the Essex championships).
5. Ideally pre-entries should close one week before race day allowing time for the host club to send
through a final entry list to Essex AA for its records and use on the day. Cut-off dates nearer to the
race day can be considered on a case by case basis
6. There is no requirement for the host club to "reserve" entries for runners wanting to enter
the Essex championship, unless specifically requested by Essex AA if the event is being used
as a pre selection race for an Inter Counties Invitational race. Entries should be treated no
differently to the normal race entry.
7. In circumstances where the race entry limit is approaching Essex AA would like the host club to
advertise this fact (through its website for example) so that all possible entrants have the opportunity
to be aware that delaying their application could result in failure to get an entry.
1. The host club should provide Essex AA an "Essex Championship only" result list as soon as
possible to allow Essex AA to calculate and validate county medalists (i.e. excluding all non Essex
2. Essex AA will present its medals after the Essex AA results are completed, normally after the race
prizes are given.
3. A full set of results should be made available to Essex AA after the race.
Tiptree Road Runners won the 2021 award for their 10 mile road race.
The Howard Williams Trophy is awarded to the best road race in the Essex AA area as voted for by clubs.
Clubs are sent a voting form in October/November and have to rank their best three road races in order. Votes should be based upon how the race is organised rather than on goody bags and medals. Voting is by one voting form per club and it's up to the club how they rank their races. They can consult members or manage it within their committee or however else they see fit. Clubs can vote for their own race. Forms have to be returned by end of January to the Essex Endurance Committee, who count up the votes and the trophy is awarded at the Essex 20 road race.
2020 - Not Awarded (Covid)
2019 Pleshey half
2018 Tiptree 10m
2017 Stebbing 10
2016 Stebbing 10
2015 Pleshey half
2014 Pleshey half
2013 Leigh on Sea 10km
2012 Tiptree 10m
2011 Billericay 10km
2010 Tiptree 10m
2009 Billericay 10km
2008 Bentley Half